March 8, 2011

Book Review - Keep Your Greek: Strategies for Busy People



Disclaimer: I received a complementary copy of Keep Your Greek: Strategies for Busy People from the publisher, Zondervanin exchange for a review.

Summary:
Knowing Koinē Greek is very important to me, because it is the language that God chose to write the New Testament in and, if that is the language he chose to convey his message of salvation, I, as someone who aspires to the ministry of His Word, should be sure to know that language. That being said, it has been nearly five years since I took Greek, and through the course of time my knowledge of this language has lessened dramatically. That is why this book was of so much interest to me.
In this book, Constantine Campbelli seeks to give several bits of practical advice to help people retain their knowledge of Greek after theological training or, like me, to get it back.
The Chapter headings for this book are:
1. Read Every Day
2. Burn Your Interlinear
3. Use Software Tools Wisely
4. Make Vocabulary Your Friend
5. Practice Your Parsing
6. Read Fast
7. Read Slow
8. Use Your Senses
9. Get Your Greek Back
10. Putting it All Together



What I Liked:
First, this book helped me remember why I started working with the Biblical languages to begin with. Second, it really gave me a gut check about how much I had actually learned in the first place, but also gave me confidence that, with a few simple routines, I could get my knowledge of Greek back and take it further. The thing that I liked most about this book though, was that the simple advice that he gives for retaining your knowledge of Greek, or getting it back, could work for any language.



What I Didn't Like:
There is really nothing to report here. The only possible complaint that I would have is that I wished he would have fleshed the book out a bit.



My Rating: 5 out of 5


-----
i Constantine R. Campbell (PhD, Macquarie University) is a senior lecturer in Greek and New Testament at Moore Theological College in Sudney Australia. He is the author of numerous books, including Basics of Verbal Aspect in Biblical Greek, which is also published by Zondervan. Dr. Campbell is a public speaker, musician, and author, and lives in Sydney with his wife and three children.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, but, please, no inappropriate language.