June 9, 2009

Wrestling with Greek

Today I was wrestling with the Greek text of Romans 3:26c, for a sermon I am preaching this Sunday, which in the UBS GNT 4th revised edition reads:

… εἰς τὸ εἶναι αὐτὸν δίκαιον καὶ δικαιοῦντα τὸν ἐκ πίστεως ʼΙησοῦ.

I am especially wrestling with the meaning of the first five words.  I have only had one year of Greek, which was nearly 3 years ago now.

Here is what I have so far:

  • I believe that the random article (in the accusative neuter singular) is nominalizing the prepositional phrase (per Wallace, 236), so
  • I believe αὐτὸν, though in the accusative is functioning as the subject of the infinitive, εἶναι (present infinitive of εἰμί).
  • I believe that both δίκαιον and δικαιοῦντα are acting as the objects of the same infinitive.

Now, what does that all mean?  I have no idea really.  This is a little bit beyond me, and I haven’t even gotten to the last part of this.  If there is anyone that actually reads this and can help, would you please?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, but, please, no inappropriate language.