January 10, 2009

A thought that came to me today

I have been preparing my next blog post that I am writing for my series on Calvinism.  That post is going to be over the subject of sola Scriptura and essentially going to consist of an exposition of 2 Timothy 3:15-16.  While reading up so that I could write that post, I had an interesting thought: 'Can anyone but a Calvinist, or at least someone with a high view of the sovereignty of God, truly believe in a fully inspired and inerrant Bible?'

Based on my view of Biblical inspiration, the answer that I had to come to was 'no.'  I say that because, first of all, because of my view of Biblical inspiration.  I believe that God worked through the human authors, using their own personalities, vocabulary, etc., but overriding their fundamental falleness, so that the final product was without error.  As far as I know, within the Protestant Camp, Calvinism is the only system that has such a high view of God's sovereignty that it would allow Him to do such.

Anybody that reads this, what do you think?  Am I completely warped in my thinking?  Please feel free to comment.

1 comment:

  1. David,

    An historical Arminian (as opposed to a Semi-Pelagian or worse yet Pelagian) would be able to affirm the same thing as a Calvinist as far as the sovereignty of God overcoming man's sinfulness. The difference would be in the "why" and the "who". It'd probably be a good study to actually study historical Arminianism as opposed to the hybrid version and the Semi-Pelagianism we often see today.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment, but, please, no inappropriate language.