January 1, 2009

My 2009 Reading List

I have a confession to make.  I have the horrible habit (unless it is fiction) of getting books, starting to read them, losing interest about half-way through, and then putting them on my bookshelf to sit and collect dust.  So, in 2009, I am going to aim at reading one book for each month from my bookshelf.  The books are as follows, in no particular order:

  1. The Death of Death in the Death of Christ: A Treatise of the Redemption and Reconciliation that is in the Blood of Christ, with Merit Thereof, and Satisfaction Wrought Thereby by John Owen
  2. The Bruised Reed by Richard Sibbes
  3. Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis
  4. The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis
  5. By His Grace and For His Glory: A Historical, Theological, and Practical Study of the Doctrines of Grace in Baptist Life by Dr. Thomas J. Nettles
  6. Between Two Worlds: The Art of Preaching in the Twentieth Century By John R. W. Stott
  7. Christ-Centered Preaching: Redeeming the Expository Sermon by Bryan Chapell
  8. Preaching and Preachers by D. Martyn Lloyed-Jones
  9. Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper
  10. What is a Healthy Church by Mark Dever
  11. What is a Healthy Church Member by Thabiti Anyabwile
  12. Transforming Grace: Living Confidently in God's Love  by Jerry Bridges

On top of those twelve books, I am going to try to read through the Bible yet again.  My plan for that is to read two chapters in the morning from the Old Testament and two chapters in the evening from the New Testament.  If my calculations are correct, that actually allows me to read through the OT once and the NT twice.

For some people this may not seam like a lot of reading, but for me, who has a very short attention span for things of a serious nature, this is probably going to be difficult.  However, I really do want to be a more serious reader.  If I have time this year, I would also like to read Dickens' A Christmas Carol and Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress.


NOTE:

Each of the above links go to my sellers accounts on either monergismbooks.com or amazon.com.  If you purchase any of the books I get a commission.  As someone who is very much hurting for cash at the moment (am currently unemployed with a wife and three kids), I would very much appreciate the sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, but, please, no inappropriate language.